Saturday, May 15, 2010

Thailand, Day 2

Unfortunately, it started out badly and I didn’t shake the mood. It started out normally. I had slept in the window nook so I hadn’t slept well and basically woke up with the sun. I read some more of my book while I waited for her to wake up. As we prepared to head out, she asked what I wanted to do. I replied that I wanted to hit the markets some (I’d heard that the clothes were cheap but good and I had been feeling my wardrobe was lacking thanks to a few comments so I thought Thailand would be a good place to pick up some stuff.) Her reply was basically: “I’ve been waiting for three days to do these things so we may be able to do the shopping you want to do if we have time.” Yeah, needless to say, I was so happy the rest of the day. Next on the agenda was to go to the guy’s hotel (other guys she works with that I’ve never been inclined to hang out with but apparently we would be spending the next two days with them. Yay) Yeah, an hour later she finally gives up following our crappy map of the city and finds an internet café to tell him to come get us. Another half hour later they ask the hotel attendant about local tours and was told a tour could pick them up in an hour and a half so they paid the money for all four of us and told me the plans. The guys were just going to go back to their computers upstairs but as us girls hadn’t eaten yet we headed to a pub for brunch. (We are in Thailand and we go to an Irish pub for food? We had planned on stopping at a native restaurant.) The pub was good, I had a fried rice dish. (Thankfully they had a local menu so I wasn’t too annoyed.) However, I assumed that at the table for five I would be seated next to the girl and the guys would basically be across from us. Nope. One of the guys pulled out the seat I was planning on while the other guy was already seated. Basically I had to sit next to one of the guys and the empty seat. Yep, I had a delightfully silent supper as I listened to them talk about comics and stuff I never really got into. (I’ll refer to the guy who took my seat as G1 and the other guy as G2) I thought that was just an accident that he took my seat. As became obvious all through that day and the next, he was doing what girls refer to as “cockblocking” only reverse. Usually cockblocking is when a guy is trying to get with a girl who doesn’t want him and her friends stick to her side to help her avoid him. This time G1 was sticking to her side all the time and monopolizing her time so I couldn’t talk to her in hopes of getting lucky. Grrr. She didn’t seem to mind by then (previously she’d said she wasn’t interesting and he was really annoying. My, how minds change.) as she didn’t seem in any hurry to avoid him and talk to me. At all. That left me with G2 for two days, which was fine. He was married so he wasn’t someone I may have to fend off. He just didn’t speak a lot.
Anyways, the day wasn’t bad. We went to a tiger sanctuary and got pictures with doped up tigers, saw an elephant show, saw a girl stand still with more than ten scorpions moving around on her shirt, got pictures with a couple of bored orangutans, saw a pig race followed by a cool tiger show and an alligator show, and got pictures feeding a bottle to a baby tiger. It was cute but very rushed trip as it all happened on schedule in two hours. That’s a lot for two hours and I was not really in the mood to smile.
Anyways, we got back about 6 pm and we didn’t have any plans until 9 or so. Cool we can go back to the hotel, change quickly into night clothes and makeup and get back in time to meet the guys and get supper before going to bars with other people. What? Walk the mile walk to the hotel when what she had on was fine? Nope. Another of the things I had looked forward to and planned was shot down because she was lazy. Instead of me wearing my cute black v-neck and black jewelry and some makeup as I had planned when I learned I might actually get out to bars or clubs, I listened to my ipod while she played with the computer and he slept so I showed up at the night scene with no jewelry, no makeup but old sunscreen, and in a tshirt designed to not burn much skin. Hasn’t she learned that half the fun of going out for a girl is the dress up part? Oh yeah, and they all decided to skip supper because they weren’t hungry. The plan was to drink…a lot… Why the heck did they think skipping food since brunch was a good idea? Finally about 9 I said “You are waiting for people here. Across the street is a bar/ restaurant. I’m going there. We can still see here. You can come if you want but I will eat before I drink.” So I went and got a deli sandwich and fries. They weren’t awesome but it was food and I was hungry. So then the fun on Walking Street began, which is the place in Pattaya with the most bars and clubs in one area. What happens on Walking Street, stays on Walking Street. (I will admit to some gloating priveldges as I was merely happily tipsy while my coworker got wasted and I was the only one the next morning without a hangover. I do love when things work out my way.  )

No comments:

Post a Comment