Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Birthday, Saturday

So our second day in Tokyo started when my roommate woke up about 4:30 pm.  We left for sushi at the place we went to the night before that was really fresh and we ate sushi, including sea eel, which is heated before being smothered in a sauce and put on a plate. (This is an actual sushi restaurant, not a conveyor belt place.)  All the stuff was really good except that there were a number of fish they didn't have on hand at the time.  Next we went hunting for a hookah bar, another "first time" for my twenty-first birthday.  A hookah bar, as I seem to recall, is flavored tobacco that you breathe in the smoke and breath it out.  The process is not addictive and supposed to be really relaxing.  I'm not sure if it was the hookah or the really fun music but after there I was in a party mood and we picked up some chuhis to get us in the mood.  Chuhis are alcoholic drinks served in soda cans that taste very similar to soda.  I found a green apple type that I liked.  I'd also had a Sex on the Beach or Long Island Iced Tea at the hookah bar so that was helping.  (I don't know which she brought us as I pointed to one and they were right next to each other.)  We went back to the hotel to finish our makeup and the drinks and she called her current love.  Since she was at least buzzed, that may not have been the best idea.  Oh well, I eavesdropped as I danced to my headphones to keep me in my party mood and inserted comments where I felt like (the curse of me being comfy with a person while they're on the phone is that I do "witty" asides).  I stayed in the mood until I tried to defrizz my hair.  First off, I need to get a haircut.  I have no layers though my hair is a few inches below my shoulder.  Not all that useful for a club look when none of us brought hairspray or the like.  Smart.  Mental note to self: don't use the hotel shampoo and conditioner before partying.  It may be convinient but it takes a few washes for hair to get used to a shampoo/conditioner and taking a straightener to it did not help.  Needless to say, I was glad I brought the hair clamp along.  Twist the hair, secure with clamp, and it's presentable, even kinda pretty.  We got to the club about 11 pm and left about 5 am.  Not bad seeing as I was tired when I got there and not tired when I left.  It started out with just me and my roommate dancing together but a guy quickly started dancing with me while his friend snuck around and got my roommate.  We danced together for a while until he took me to meet a friend who asked me to dance.  While we danced I noticed that the first guy was now dancing with my roommate.  Apparently I got the destraction so that they could dance with her.  Hm, oh well, she was lookin' good and I had danced with someone so I wasn't upset.  When the friend walked off, I found myself a corner and danced there.  Eventually I was out on the dance floor with another guy, although I don't remember exactly how that happened.  That guy had to go put his drink down so he said he'd be right back but another guy came over so we danced for a while. Then he had to leave for some reason and I was dancing with the drink guy for a long time.  I noticed the last guy was standing by the wall not far away a little while later so I was kinda happy he'd come back.  I felt quite popular that the guys came back to dance with me.  I'm not used to having proof a guy thinks I'm pretty or talented, let alone that he'd chose me in a crowd.  Granted, there were fewer girls than guys and many came with guys, but I felt specail.  Unfortunately the room was filling up fast and I get slightly claustiphobic when I keep bumping elbows and backs with people.  My partner is no problem but we got at an awkward point when he bought me a drink and I couldn't figure out how to dance with one hand full.  Needless to say, I rather rudely walked away from him.  I meant for him to follow to a less crowded place but it's hard to get things across when the room is closing in and it's hard to be heard above the music.  I went to look for my roommate as I had lost track of her in the past half hour and wound up hanging and dancing with one guy for the rest of the night, which was at least two hours, probably over that, before we finally left the club and the guys behind and my roommate and I returned to the hotel to try and sleep before checking out by 10:30.  I realized as I fell asleep that the only guy I gave my number to that night was also the only guy I gave a fake name to.  He was the last one I'd danced with and he had my real name before we left but when he first started to dance, I was trying to find my roommate and decided to give him a fake name and walk away.  Yeah, didn't work that way.  :)
We left the hotel about 9:30 and stopped at a vending machine for a drink and a coffee shop for food.  She got a sandwich she fell in love with and I got a lovely blueberry muffin.  Did I mention that in Japan they have drink vending machines on every block?  And instead of the American drink vending machines I was used to before I got here, these are more like the food ones in America where the empty drink containers are lined up on the cover to give the assortment instead of the small buttons with logos used in the US.  The Apple Tea sold in those machines is absolutely amazing but the Peach Mango Tea made by the same brand that is sold only in convienience stores is even more amazing.  (I was planning to say "to die for" but realized I wouldn't actually give my life for a bottle so exaggeration was not needed.)  :)  Hm, after breakfast we got on the trains and managed to weave our way through the train system to Yokosuka only asking a question once and going to the wrong platform once (after we'd gone to the right one and misunderstood the sign).  All in all I was proud we didn't get lost.
I realize this is a rather abridged description of the weekend but I wanted to assure you I had an awesome twenty-first birthday celebration (and finally got to Tokyo).  I will definitely remember the hotel and return.  The neighborhood was awesome, by day or night, and the hotel was literally a door or two from a major subway route in Tokyo.  Wait til next year.  I may need to be even more general next year.  I may actually be comfortable enough to get in trouble.  :)
Well, this is Li'l B signing off and wishing this coming year of life is as fun and interesting as the last one.  Okay, maybe a little more...amusing.  :)

1 comment: